Felt So Fine

Felt So Fine

Saturday, April 23, 2011

T: Teller of Tales

Last night, Nicole and Corinne and I rushed straight from the soccer field to the “Author Event” being held twenty minutes away at the same time as our games. It was a dilemma. On the one hand we had our games. And you learned yesterday, we’re kind of fond of those games. On the other hand, this was a chance to meet our FAVORITE author! But apparently you CAN have your cake and eat it too, because we made it just in time to get in line and become sufficiently star-struck. Jessica Day George was the object of our affection. She’s not a household name yet, not like say, that Rowling chick. But I will love her forever. She taught my girl the joy of reading!

In 5th grade, Nicole was old enough now to check out something other than comic books from the library, but nothing appealed to her. I tried and tried but she just had no interest in any of the novels I suggested. But one day she came home with her nose in a book and didn’t look up for two days! I was shocked. “What is this book that has finally caught her eye?” It was Dragon Slippers by Jessica Day George.Well, I had to know what kind of book this was so I could go stock my library with more of the same, so I opened the first chapter. And two days later I looked up. It was just a sweet, funny, action packed, story of a young dress-maker who happens to be friends with the dragons which of course means there is danger and adventure and a prince. It was the first of a trilogy, so we ordered the next two. And I’ve since bought the other three novels written by this author. Corinne is almost through all three Dragon books now and loves them too. This one is my favorite. (I would LOVE to wear that dress! Look at the embroidery on that thing!!)

So yesterday evening found us standing in front of our hero of sorts, with our arms full of her books and trying our best not to embarrass ourselves by acting all fan girl on her! It was a fun experience and I was so happy to be able to share it with my girls. To see them enjoy a book the way that I enjoy books is gratifying indeed!

2 comments:

Elizabeth Mueller said...

I'm in LOVE with your header! I love kids! Congrats on your success with your book!

Happy Easter!

♥.•*¨Elizabeth¨*•.♥

Aubry Wilkes said...

I love, love, LOVE those books as well! So fun that you were able to meet her. I follow her on goodreads and it is interesting to see what a wonderful author is reading for herself.