Felt So Fine

Felt So Fine

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

L: Little Man

The daughters had their 15 minutes, so of course I will give equal time to Spencer! He is my Little man. He looks at me with those big brown eyes, and I melt every time. He's such an easy going, happy boy. All trucks and dinosaurs and cowboys. You would think being surrounded by princesses and barbies and butterflies he'd get sucked in. But he holds his own and keeps an even balance in the house. One day I found a barbie in the garbage can and I yelled, "Who threw this away??" He scowled and explained, "They left that dumb girl in my room!!!" He's just such a delight to us all. He loves to play rough and tough and wrestle with his dad, but then at bedtime he snuggles right up with a big hug and kiss.


It's so different being a mother to a boy. When the girls were born I was filled with joy at the thoughts of shopping and talking and friendship for life. But with Spencer it was almost a crazy feeling of panic from the moment I held him. I felt that every minute that passed was one minute closer to him leaving me. Someday he'll grow up and some "girl" is going to take him away from me. I hate her guts already!! It makes me sad, and it also makes me feel deeply indebted to my mother-in-law for letting me steal Matt away from her. Although, if she would like him back, we might be able to work out some sort of joint custody arrangement? Maybe during hunting season?? :) See?? I'm awful! Daughter-in-laws are awful!! They make mean jokes about their husband. What if some bratty girl who knows how to bat her eyes just right at Spencer, makes a mean joke about him someday? UGH!! Not only am I a mean DIL, I'm also going to be a Monster-in-law, aren't I??? No. I'm not. I'm going to get it together and spend the next 15 years coming to grips with the fact that it's not only okay, but it's wonderful for Spencer to grow up and leave his mom and be a great husband and father just like his dad. But maybe I'll start tomorrow. Tonight I'm going to read him a story and when he smiles at me, I'll just fall more madly in love with him. And then in the morning I'll think about growing up.




This last picture just made me laugh. He's trying to be very sneaky and lick the snowman while I take his picture, without me knowing.

5 comments:

Barbara said...

Great post! We love Spencer! I agree with your thoughts on having a son. It is the best!

Annie said...

What a sweet little man! I love that last pic...he and Lainey MUST be related, she is into a "licking" stage right now..ugh!

Haley L said...

Ok, I am such a slacker. I need to find a way to subscribe to your blog so that I get notified when you update it. I am SO impressed with your daily posts. First of all, you are a very good writer. Second, you will read back on all these posts someday and cherish what you've written. I feel like I know all of your kids just a little better and I'm even more in awe of how well you juggle 5 kids when I feel like I'm drowning with 3! Can't wait to read each day now as you finish your month!!!

Crystal Pistol said...

This was absolutely beautiful. I am so touched.

I know EXACTLY what you mean. I have my token boy amongst all these girls. He is my heart.

I LOVED what you said about hating his future wife's guts already! I know you were kidding (sorta) but MAN! I'm NOT kidding. Not one bit! I'll have her for supper.

Stephanie Hancock said...

Gotta love boys!!! They're so much sweeter than they first appear, aren't they? :)